Thursday, April 16, 2009

Under the blue sky...

Okay, so I'm climbing, nay, clawing my way out of the pit, an unfilled hole in my heart. I'm not, by any means, out of the dark just yet. But I'm getting there. I think I owe all my readers (all 5 of you...) an explaination.

So, I left the Land of the Eternal Summer in June 2008, 2 weeks after I had been released from National Service. Suffice to say that I had left my fair share of loose ends when I left. Didn't have much time to say goodbye to friends, to catch up, anything of that kind. I left a coward, a liar and a traitor.

When I was given 3 weeks to be home in December, I resolved to tie up those loose ends. I went home, called up friends, talked to people, did stuff, payed for a couple of meals, said my goodbyes. It was good. Then I left, thinking that I had finished my duty. I was at peace. For a time.

Now,  I have friends who are very much interested in the fields of Music, Acting and Game Design. However, due to the rampant piracy that is almost legal in my home country, these industries suffer due to lack of revenue. Whilst here, I realised that both these industries boom. I'm only here for an education, while those back home are either going starve doing what they love, or stuck in a dead end job they hate. Either way, I figured that I was a wasting an oppotunity that was better spent on someone else. So, descent.

Add onto that the fact that I have a friend whom I have not seen or spoken to in person for over a year, whom I tried to buy dinner for, but is so damned disorganised that whenever we agree on a day to do something, some unforseen event leaves my plans in ruins, or even forgetting it altogether. That idiot is so disorganised it makes me look like a long-term planner in comparison. I shouldn't be prying, seeing as everyone must live their own lives, but the idiot is leaving all of us worried. 

In the end, I looked up one day and the haze of emotion gave way to an understanding. We're all here, under the same blue sky. It is nothing, and everything, that makes the closest ones feel the furthest, and the furthest ones feel the closest.

The gift of weeping is perhaps the greatest of God's mercies. Happy they who know not the pain of tearless sorrow.

-Gabe

No comments: