Saturday, November 22, 2008

.. and on the other hand...

I've been in Canada for a little less than 5 months now. Getting used to the climate isn't as hard as getting used to the culture. The culture of "pedestrians having the right of the road", for example. What this means is that if a car and I reach an intersection, the car has to stop and wait for me to go first, BY LAW. I kid you not, were I to get hit by a car when crossing the road, I could sue. If I got hit by a car crossing the road in Malaysia, I'd probably have to pay the guy damages I caused to his bonnet.

Another thing I'm trying to get used to this whole college thing. It's weird, in that I only have to do what I want to do. It seems too good on one hand. Then again, it's a combination of things I like to do and things I have to do to get to my goal, that is, to get into UBC's (that's University of British Columbia, www.ubc.ca) Engineering Program, which I hear is Hell On Earth. Huh.

One of the things I boned by is the fact that most of my SPM stuff is only equivalent to Grade 11. What that means is that I can't take 1st Year stuff straight away (except English, I took an exam that proved it to them), and that I take a one-semester course that basicly covers all the Grade 12 stuff. I waste cash for 3 courses. Better than spending 2 years in STPM. Morons.

Either way, I've been in rigorous planning for the next semester, and wouldn't you know it, Murphy's Law kicked in. According to their schedule, they would offer a Physics course in Summer, which is what I planned to do. They generally give schedules 2 semesters in advance. And there it was, plain as day. My course was not offered. I immediately e-mailed the Physics chair. Not the chair(furniture), the chair(chairperson in charge of Physics department). As it turns out, they had originally planned to offer it, but due to budget cutbacks, they had to cut the course. Whoop-tee-doo.

So, a few days back, I was stressing on this, but have come to realise this: Whenever my plans seem perfect, that son of a bitch Murphy will send his law from whatever hole in hell he lives in right now to screw me up the ass. It's kinda sad, but yet! I quote a intelligent person when I say this: "When you fail to plan, you plan to fail." So, I fight against the tide of things being messed up.

Okay, to those of you who have actually read this far without knowing what Murphy's Law is, I salute you, and think you deserve this at the very least. Murphy's Law states that whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.

Das Vidanya!
-Gabe

No comments: