Monday, November 24, 2008

More on life in Canada

To all you Malaysians, perhaps the concept of volunteering is foreign just as I am foreign to what the Korean kids in the back are saying (annoys me to hell that there are Asians that I can't understand...). 
As I'm told, the gist of this concept is that I go to someone and work for free. Yes, work for free. In return, when I am applying for a job, my potential employers may call the people whom I volunteered for. They have a brief chat about my personality, dependability and work ethics. Other than that, having at least 2 references (that's what they're called) is one of the requirements to applying for a job.

So, as I carry on my life in Canada, I'm constantly told, nay, hounded by my family to get started with volunteering. According to my niece, a sufficient amount of volunteer hours are also a requirement to graduate high school. I have never felt fresher off a boat than the second this facet of Canadian culture was revealed to me; I had originally intended to apply for a job here to at least supplement my parents monetary contributions (they gimme money, okay?).

With the current price of college tuition even in Malaysia, some of you might be wondering how I might be able to support myself with a part time job. Well, with regards to that, I assume those who think so are ignorant of the minimum wage law of Canada, which states that the minimum wage an adult may be paid for work is CAD 8 per hour. Multiply that by 3 to convert to ringgit. Now do you understand?

As far as this matter goes, working with strangers in a foreign place is further out of my comfort zone that I would like. However, listening to their statements, opinions and such, I have applied (albeit reluctantly) to volunteer for the city. However, after attending one information session, I have been swamped with work (read:stuff that I can't stop doing) and exam tension (read: sleep). Hence, I have not followed up with them since. I do suppose, however, that I am somehow obligated to at the very least show some closure; either give them the nessesary documents and get an interview, or tell them that I am not interested.

Deliver me from procrastination
-Gabe

No comments: